Canelo to postpone traditional September fight

By
Updated: July 17, 2019

Canelo Alvarez will not fight on his typical weekend in September, Golden Boy Promotions announced Wednesday, following difficulties in finding an opponent for the middleweight world champion.

Alvarez had been slated to fight Sept. 14, but he and Golden Boy are now eyeing his next fight later in the year.

“As a Mexican, it’s a responsibility and an honor to represent my country in both May and September,” Alvarez said in a statement. “Those are my dates. However, as a world champion in multiple weight classes, I also have the responsibility of delivering the most exciting and competitive fights possible. That’s why Golden Boy and my team have decided to postpone the date in order to do right by my fans by promoting the best fight possible and with the best opponent possible.”

Alvarez had been in negotiations with light heavyweight world titlist Sergey Kovalev, but Main Events promoter Kathy Duva, who represents Kovalev, had told ESPN’s Dan Rafael on Friday that they were looking to move on to an Aug. 24 mandatory defense against Anthony Yarde.

The 28-year-old Alvarez also was not interested in a third fight with former middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin for this fall.

Alvarez had fought on the weekend of Mexican Independence Day each of the past three years and has fought that weekend nine times throughout his professional career.

He last boxed in May, earning a unanimous-decision victory over Daniel Jacobs to unify three middleweight world titles.

Article source: http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/27208625/canelo-postpone-traditional-september-fight